Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Customizing Ikea

As promised, a post about that beautiful fabric I used for the nursery (and it's not even 3 months later)! Patting myself on the back, now.

If you remember from last time at the end of the post, I enticed you into coming back (haha)
by giving you sneak peek into one of the few fabrics I've chosen for the nursery.
 Well, I made something with it!
I will admit that I love Ikea.  I think if you choose a few key pieces, Ikea can be done very well.  I also
really like customizing Ikea pieces.  It's usually cheap and easy to do and always looks
a little bit nicer. I'm not so much a fan of an entirely Ikea room.  A little Ikea goes a long way, and when done right it looks pretty great.

 I wish I had enough fabric to do the entire Poang rocker - it would
have looked incredible.

But, being what it is, I had enough of the fabric to make a cushion for the foot stool.
 I think it came out pretty awesome.  It was my first time making a cushion cover (I'm still fairly new to sewing) and I just went by the one already on there.
So after not much trial and error at all (phew!!!) we had a brandy new cushion cover, 
making this foot stool just a little bit custom.

And since I neglected to take progress pics, here are some more photos of the construction:

Pretty sweet job on the zipper, huh?
I added some extra velcro to the back to help it stick.  I went the easy way and used sticky-back
velcro instead of sewing it on.

And the whole chair:
Unfortunately the chair is not up in the nursery yet.  We're having the (still disgustingly cranberry-colored) carpets cleaned on Friday, wahoo!!.  I'm way too excited about this carpet cleaning, but hopefully they will look just a little nicer.  We decided it was better to spend the money on maternity leave rather than new carpets, so sadly that will have to wait.
Very soon though (this weekend!) the nursery will have furniture in it and the furniture will be put together!

No comments:

Post a Comment